In the summers of 2014 and 2015, Farmer Kristen Laney ran the Arrowhead farm, planting numerous heirloom vegetables and flowers, running a CSA, and offering a childrens’ farm program.
In 2014, the farm got off to a great start:
- Utilizing the expertise and generosity of our CSA members we built a coop for Kristen’s flock of heritage breed hens (and Herman, the rooster)
- A ten-share CSA proved productive and popular, feeding 15 families over a 20-week harvest season.
- We were also able to make a sizable donation of fresh veggies to Habitat for Humanity’s annual fundraiser.
- Fun at the Farm, our free weekly preschool program, was a huge success and we look forward to it’s return and expansion in 2015!
- Community building through onsite activities and partnerships with other organizations was established as our top priority.
In 2015, the programs were expanded and goats were added to the enterprise. However, in 2016 Kristen was no longer able to run the farm, and a new farmer was not found. The staff and Board of BCHS would love to see the farm continue as a self-sustaining enterprise. For more information, contact BCHS Director Will Garrison.