Category: Uncategorized


Arrowhead now offers self-guided tours

Arrowhead remains open daily for house tours; last day of the season is Monday, October 23.  The visitors center opens at 9:30, the house opens at 10:00.  Last house admittance at 4:30;…More

Rose and Abby at Fairy Village 8-16-17a

Fairy House Garden Village

The fairies are here! They have settled into their houses the village at Arrowhead.  Open every day, 10 – 5.  Admission fees apply.

In 1856, Herman Melville wrote a short story,…More

reading moby dick 1a

Moby-Dick Marathon at Arrowhead – completed!

It was the devious-cruising Rachel, that in her retracing search after her missing children, only found another orphan.  FINIS.

With those final words, read by Peter Bergman at 5:25 pm Sunday,…More

Hawthorne Studio at Arrowhead 7-17-17a

Mastheads Residents read!

On July 25, at Arrowhead, the inaugural class of Mastheads residents read poetry and prose created this summer. John Babbott, Justin Boening, Greg Allendorf, Maria Pinto, and Mariam Rahmani all read…More

stonewall crew end of day 5-21-17 2a

Stonewall restoration at Arrowhead

The Greenagers are at Arrowhead!

When Herman Melville and his family moved to Arrowhead in 1850, it was already an old farm. The stonewall along Holmes Road was probably already there….More

2016-15 photo Fredericks collection - Springside Park lake

Exhibit: Historic Photographs of Pittsfield

In the small red barn, is a new exhibit of historic photographs. The prints are from glass plate negatives recently given to the Berkshire County Historical Society by Michael Fredricks.


Jordan holding tree slice 6-14-17a

Herman Melville’s Tree

On the night of February 26, 2017, a windstorm damaged one of the Norway spruce trees at Arrowhead. Planted by Herman Melville circa 1860, these trees have witnessed over 150…More

Translate »